Followers

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Anticipation...

I hung all my clothes for Africa on the deck 
and sprayed them with permethrin.
This will keep the mosquitoes away,
I hope.

I washed my rain pants and gore tex jacket
 in the water proofing wash, 
hung them outside and sprayed them with more water proofing, 
then threw them in the dryer to finish the process.

I'm packing for hot equatorial sunshine 
and cold winter snowy mountain weather.
I'll be serving in city slums;
air thick with diesel, 
raw sewage 
and rotting garbage.

I'll be hiking through
open cypress plantations,
heather,
 up the snowy glacier,
and down through lush jungle. 

I checked over my packing list for both adventures.
I spoke with a team member who dropped out due to health issues, 
promising to use her Bible Studies with the young women 
if the opportunity presents itself.

I rolled up my clothes stuffing them in large Ziploc bags,
squeezing out all the air sealing them tight.
I organized all my pills:
vitamins,
sleeping pills,
melatonin,
benadryl,
Diamox,
Chinese Herbs/malaria meds,
Cipro,
acidophilus.
Plus:
lemon & eucalyptus spray,
my Go Girl,
Toothy Tabs,
Diva Cup
and adapter,
chargers,
go pro 
and extra batteries,
comb, 
mirror,
sunscreen.

I'm packing a large duffle bag 
full of books, 
flat soccer balls,
soccer cleats,
small gifts 
to leave with the Ugandan staff
and a few extra climbing clothing
for the porters in Tanzania.

I took off my diamond wedding ring,
leaving my mother's band on,
and put on my small silver hoop earrings.

I leave one week from today.
I'm getting excited.
Anticipation...






No comments: