Followers

Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Mother's Gift--A Month in Italy--Part 3

Tofana Mezzo and Big Bird

Nerves filled my tummy as I set out for the tram.  I had scouted the area the day before, finding the place at the end of town.  It was near the old Olympic Ice Arena. 


Seems the winter Olympics were in Cortina d'Ampezzo in 1956.  I had seen the ski jump as I rode the bus into town.  Sadly, I never was able to take a picture of the jump.

I purchased my ticket, then waited with some German tourists.  It was a chance to practice my unused language skills.  

As we rode the tram up to the first stop, my legs shook.  I have a fear of heights and this tram seemed to be hanging by a thread as it traveled higher and higher up towards a sheer rock face. 


Our first stop...Refugio Col Drucie.  But we didn't stop there.  


We rode on up to Refugio Ra Vales.  
This is the view looking DOWN onto Refugio Col Drucie and Cortina d'Ampezzo!
Finally, we rode the tram to the TOP: Tofana Mezzo...


when I disembarked, I found these stairs.  Naturally, I walked up even higher...


to find this...


this...


and finally...THIS!

I soaked it all in for a LONG time.

GLORIOUS!

On the way down...

I stopped once again at Refugio Ra Vales.  And in this very spot, I met...


this delightful gentleman, Caroll and his wife.  
Caroll is non other than...BIG BIRD from Sesame Street!

 Read about him here: 




No comments: