Followers

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Heart of Stone


My heart's been full of sadness
for many years now.

Stone upon stone
of sorrow piling up
until my heart felt like stone itself.

His Presence was missing,
absent,
vacant,
though I longed for it.

I've known His Presence before.
An inner sense
of His Being,
but it seemed to elude me over the years.

And then I went back to Uganda.
It had been 16 years.

As I sat in 
Pastor Mitchell's church 
on that first Sunday,
a ramshackle wooden shack
 plunked on a dirty, garbage strewn hill
 in the Kibuli Slum,
Ugandan voices lifting God in praise
encircled me,
and my heart began to heal.

His Presence was there.
My tears were unstoppable.
God became real to me again.

Bit by bit each stone
began to melt back into flesh.

There's a very thin veil between the spiritual world
and the concrete world in Uganda.
Maybe it's that way in all developing nations.

It's hard to describe.
The spiritual is as real as the red dirt
underfoot.

Here in America,
there's more of a brick wall
between the spiritual  
and the concrete world.

With our abundance, 
materialism,
land of plenty,
distractions,
consumerism,
and boredom
the wall is thick.

The divide feels solid here.

But the thin veil of Uganda
allowed my heart
to begin to heal.

And I am grateful.

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; 
I will remove from you your heart of stone 
and give you a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 36:26(NIV)

No comments: